A race to the top to recycle the most and waste the least.
Week 8 action, March 22-28
- How did we do? We want you to learn how RecycleMania can be better. Please share here!
- RecycleMania rankings: Rutgers (50% diversion rate), Purdue (42%), Iowa (40%), University of Maryland (38%), full rankings here..
- Week 7 winners! Sharon Seydel (staff, Dental Sciences), Cindy Humpleby (staff, Plaza Centre One), Sarah Riggs (staff, Main Lib).
- Log participation in 4 or more RM activities, and earn Waste Zero Hero status! Log participation in previous weeks if you forgot to!
- Carry on after RecycleMania by joining Eco Hawks! All students, staff, and faculty are welcome. Learn more here (340 Eco Hawks have joined so far)!
- Receive our weekly RecycleMania newsletter by clicking here. Just add "please subscribe" in the subject line.
February 1 to March 28
RecycleMania is a national competition, pitting over 400 campuses against each other to recycle the most and waste the least. In 2014, we finished second in the Big Ten. Let's finish first this year!
Log participation, win prizes!
3 chances to enter your name into the hat each week for one of three weekly prize packages, including: RecycleMania mug, lunch container, tote bag, and delicious New Pioneer Co-op snacks!
- Log participation by clicking on the current week's activity below.
- When logging participation, you can list the name of the person that informed you about the activity to enter the person into the weekly drawing.
- Use #UIRM on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram to enter your name into the weekly drawing again!
Week 1, Feb 1-7: Recyclemania Pledge
This is our foundation of RecycleMania. It's one part knowledge-building and one part pledge to take us further.
>> Log participation by clicking here to take the pledge!
Week 2, Feb. 8-14: MUGSHOTS
Use a reusable mug or water bottle! We'll be distributing RecycleMania mugs and tumblers during the week.
Week 3, Feb. 15-21: Visual Trash Audits
No recycling in the trash!! Compare your trash to our list of recyclable items, and see what more you can do to reduce, reuse, and recycle.
Week 4, Feb. 22-28: Spring Cleanout
Clean out your office, dorm room, and student organization office, and RECYCLE.
Week 5, March 1-7: Zero Food Waste Future
A panel discussion on food waste reduction on Tuesday, March 3, in the IMU's Iowa Theatre from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. To log your participation in this week's activity, attend the panel discussion! Read more about the event in this Press Citizen Op-ed.
>> Log participation here (if you missed the sign-in sheet at the event)
Week 6, March 8-14: Caught green-handed and Eco Hawk Training
Week 7, March 15-21: Trash Free
Challenge yourself to reduce how much you send to the landfill.
Week 8, March 22-28: Evaluation and Feedback
How did we do? We want to hear what you think about this year's RecycleMania effort and how we can improve!