A race to the top to recycle the most and waste the least.
Week 5 highlights, March 1-7
- Iowa City's Zero-Food-Waste Future Panel Discussion! To log your participation, you have to go! Tuesday, March 3, 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. in the Iowa Memorial Union's Iowa Theatre (formally the Bijou). Read more about food waste and the panel discussion in this Press Citizen Op-ed.
- RecycleMania rankings: Rutgers (49% diversion rate), Purdue (44%), Iowa (41%), Michigan State (40%). Harness that recycling adrenaline!
- Week 4 winners: Doug Robertson (General Hospital), Loren Leclair (Gilmore Hall), Sarah Heady (Hardin Library)
- Sign up for Eco Hawks! Learn more here.
- Already, 50 Waste Zero Heroes have emerged in RecycleMania 2015! Log participate in 4 or more RM activities, and earn Waste Zero Hero status!
- Receive our weekly RecycleMania newsletter by clicking here. Just add "please subscribe" in the subject line.
February 1 to March 28
RecycleMania is a national competition, pitting over 400 campuses against each other to recycle the most and waste the least. In 2014, we finished second in the Big Ten. Let's finish first this year!
Log participation, win prizes!
3 chances to enter your name into the hat each week for one of three weekly prize packages, including: RecycleMania mug, lunch container, tote bag, and delicious New Pioneer Co-op snacks!
- Log participation by clicking on the current week's activity below.
- When logging participation, you can list the name of the person that informed you about the activity to enter the person into the weekly drawing.
- Use #UIRM on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram to enter your name into the weekly drawing again!
Week 1, Feb 1-7: Recyclemania Pledge
This is our foundation of RecycleMania. It's one part knowledge-building and one part pledge to take us further.
>> Log participation by clicking here to take the pledge!
Week 2, Feb. 8-14: MUGSHOTS
Use a reusable mug or water bottle! We'll be distributing RecycleMania mugs and tumblers during the week.
Week 3, Feb. 15-21: Visual Trash Audits
No recycling in the trash!! Compare your trash to our list of recyclable items, and see what more you can do to reduce, reuse, and recycle.
Week 4, Feb. 22-28: Spring Cleanout
Clean out your office, dorm room, and student organization office, and RECYCLE.
Week 5, March 1-7: Zero Food Waste Future
A panel discussion on food waste reduction on Tuesday, March 3, in the IMU's Iowa Theatre from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. To log your participation in this week's activity, attend the panel discussion! Read more about the event in this Press Citizen Op-ed.
Week 6, March 8-14: Caught green-handed and Eco Hawk Training
Sign up to be an Eco Hawk (students here, staff and faculty here). COR Interns will be heading around campus, recognizing people for their acts of green--like riding a bike or using a reusable mug or water bottle--with a fancy sticker!
Week 7, March 15-21: Trash Free
Go a week without using the personal trash at your desk. Promote your Tiny Trash!
Week 8, March 22-28: Recycling literacy and evaluation
Wrap up RecycleMania with a recycling literacy quiz to see what you learned and evaluate the program as well.