Gameday Recycling Program
Kinnick Goes Green
Each fall, Kinnick Stadium goes green to reduce the amount of trash ending up in the landfill after football games. The game day recycling program has three areas of concentration:
- Pre-game: Recycling containers are placed at the Kinnick entrance gates and are staffed by volunteers to help fans sort their recyclable materials.
- Game-time: Food service workers and Aramark collect food and kitchen waste in the concession stands and Press Box areas for composting. Recycling bins are set in the concourse areas, along with the Coca-Cola bottle-shaped bins.
- Post-game cleanup: Students from City High, West High, and Iowa City junior highs clean up the stadium and separate recyclable materials from trash bright and early the morning after each game day.
Game Day recycling is successful because of our amazing volunteers! Two volunteer positions are available for the 2019 season!
This is a great opportunity for fraternities, sororities, and student orgs to fulfill service hours early in the school year, PLUS it gives your org exposure to recruit members while making a difference. Be a part of this fun and spirited volunteer opportunity and SIGN UP TODAY!
Fan Engagement Gate Attendants
- 30+ volunteers needed per game
- Earn 3 service hours in 2.25 hours
- Engage fans while helping them sort waste into the correct bin
- Finish volunteering in time to catch most of the game (shift begins two hours before kickoff and ends 15-minutes after kickoff)
- Get a $10 food/beverage voucher to use inside the stadium
- SIGN UP TODAY!
- 8+ volunteers needed per game
- Commit to 3-4 games and earn 3 service hours in 2.5 hours each game
- Assist the volunteer coordinator with managing fan engagement gate attendant volunteers
- Get a pass into each game you work
- Build your resume with leadership experience
- SIGN UP TODAY!
Fans can do their part by recycling plastic bottles, cans, plastic souvenir cups, cardboard and paper. Items not accepted include plastic bags, glass, food or food-contaminated containers. Please empty liquids from containers before recycling!