Biking at Iowa is an environmentally-friendly and healthy alternative to driving on campus. Whether it's commuting, competitive biking, or anything in between, Iowa is a great place to bike. There is plenty of biking infrastructure and support for any avid or aspiring cyclist. Feel free to navigate the pages below for resources and answers to many of your questions!
- If you got a "Cycle Like a Hawk" bike seat cover, we want to thank you for biking on campus! Biking is a sustainable form of transportation and we thought it was necessary to recognize your healthy and environmentally sound way to get to and around campus! Make sure to check all the resources and events going on-campus throughout the website.
- Take the Earth Month Bike Challenge from Apr. 10 - 30 to log your rides and win prizes. The bike challenge is intended to encourage biking as a healthy, fun, and environmentally friendly way to get around town and campus.
- The Spring Bike Check-Up will take place on Apr. 21 from 2-4pm at the Pentacrest. Geoff's Bike and Ski and World of Bikes will be there to perform basic bike maintenance and advice to keep your bike in shape.
- Take the eleven question bike quiz to learn about bike safety, local resources, and some fun facts about biking.
Biking by the Numbers
Data from the 2008-2012 American Community Survey shows:
- Iowa City with 1,252 bike commuters among a population of 70,131
- Iowa City ranked sixth in the Midwest in commuting percent (3.23 percent)
- Iowa City ranked 14th in the country among cities with populations of 65,000 to 100,000
Biking is one of the most reliable and environmentally-friendly ways to travel around the University of Iowa. When you r...
Commuting by Bike
Deciding to commute by bike can be a big decision. It can also be one of the best decisions one can make! It’s environme...
Local Resources and Newsletter
University of Iowa Parking and Transportation The University of Iowa encourages bicycling as a safe, healthy and viable ...
Bicycle riders should follow the rules of the road along with motor vehicles. Adhering to the laws protects you and othe...
Parking and Security
Park your bike at one of the many racks on campus and learn how to secure your bike from theft.
Bicycle Advisory Committee
What's it about?The Bicycle Advisory Committee is a group of students, faculty, staff, and other bicycle enthusiasts in ...