Biking at Iowa is an environmentally-friendly and healthy alternative to driving on campus. Whether it's commuting, competitive biking, or anything in between, Iowa is a great place to bike. There is plenty of biking infrastructure and support for any avid or aspiring cyclist. Feel free to navigate the pages below for resources and answers to many of your questions!
- It's Bike Month 2017 in Johnson County! There are so many activites, Think Bicycles could't fit them all into just one week! See this flyer or go to the Think Bicycles website for a full list of events.
- If you got a "Cycle Like a Hawk" bike seat cover, we want to thank you for biking on campus! Biking is a sustainable form of transportation and we thought it was necessary to recognize your healthy and environmentally sound way to get to and around campus! Make sure to check all the resources and events going on-campus throughout the website.
- The results are in for the Earth Month Bike Challenge: congrats to the winnng teams and individuals! Approximately 180 people actively participated in the challenge, biking more than 16,600 miles. See complete results here
- Take the eleven question bike quiz to learn about bike safety, local resources, and some fun facts about biking.
Biking by the Numbers
Data from the 2008-2012 American Community Survey shows:
- Iowa City with 1,252 bike commuters among a population of 70,131
- Iowa City ranked sixth in the Midwest in commuting percent (3.23 percent)
- Iowa City ranked 14th in the country among cities with populations of 65,000 to 100,000
Biking is one of the most reliable and environmentally-friendly ways to travel around the University of Iowa. When you r...
Commuting by Bike
Deciding to commute by bike can be a big decision. It can also be one of the best decisions one can make! It’s environme...
Local Resources and Newsletter
University of Iowa Parking and Transportation The University of Iowa encourages bicycling as a safe, healthy and viable ...
Bicycle riders should follow the rules of the road along with motor vehicles. Adhering to the laws protects you and othe...
Parking and Security
Park your bike at one of the many racks on campus and learn how to secure your bike from theft.
Bicycle Advisory Committee
What's it about?The Bicycle Advisory Committee is a group of students, faculty, staff, and other bicycle enthusiasts in ...