Sustainability Charter Committee
About the Charter Committee
The UI Presidential Sustainability Charter Committee (SCC) was created in order to advise the UI President and Administration on the integration of sustainability with existing campus programs in education, research, operations, and community outreach. The Committee will assist in engaging the campus in an ongoing dialogue about sustainability and instilling a culture of sustainable long-range planning and forward-thinking design through their respective constituencies. The SCC also advises and makes recommendations to the President on the development and implementation of campus sustainability action plans.
While the OSE and SCC are not linked administratively and have no formal obligations to each other, the two maintain a close relationship and collaborate on various initiatives. OSE staff and interns often hold seats on the SCC.
Read the full Sustainability Committee Charter below.
See past meeting agendas and minutes here.
Sustainability Committee Charter and Charge
Membership. Confirmed by the President of the University (with administrative responsibility for membership and chair appointments handled by the Senior Vice President for Finance and Operations):
- Four members appointed by the governing body of the faculty, currently the Faculty Senate;
- Four members appointed by the governing body of the staff, currently the Staff Council;
- Four members (two undergraduates, one graduate student, and one student from the professional colleges) appointed by the governing body of the students, currently for purposes of this committee, the joint nominations committee of the UISG and ECGPS;
- Administrative liaisons: Director of the Office of Sustainability and Director of Facilities Management; Ex Officio Members: Director of Parking and Transportation; one representative from UI Hospitals & Clinics; one representative from Residence Halls Housing and Dining; one representative each from the Office of the Vice President for Student Life, the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost, the Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development, and the Senior Associate to the President.
- Committee will be co-chaired by a faculty member and a staff member; chair selection candidates are submitted to the President of the University by the President of the Faculty Senate and President of the Staff Council.
- Student candidates will have one-year appointments according to their policies and procedures.
- Faculty and staff members will have two- to three-year appointments according to their policies and procedures.
Charge to the Committee
The Committee shall be governed by the terms of the General Charter.
In addition, the Committee shall:
- Recommend and advise on matters pertaining to sustainability practices and formulation of University policies;
- Advise on the integration of sustainability with existing campus programs in education, research, operations, and community outreach;
- Assist in engaging the campus in an ongoing dialogue about sustainability and instilling a culture of sustainable long-range planning and forward-thinking design through their respective constituencies;
- Advise on the development and implementation of campus sustainability action plans.
2019-2020 Charter Committee Members
|Matthieu Biger||Computer Science|
|Jenna Hammerich||Obermann Center Advanced Studies|
|Melissa Meisterheim||English Second Language|
|Sam Schauer||Intravenous Admixture|
|Michelle Fravel||Applied Clinical Sciences|
|Debby Zumbach||Parking & Transportation|
|Glen Rogers||UI Hospitals & Clinics|
|Scott Seagren||Student Life|
|Rich Hichwa||Office of the VP for Research|
|Pete Mathes & Laura McLeran||Senior Associate to the President|
|Jill Irvin||Residence Halls Housing & Dining|
|Deb Tiemens||Office of the Executive VP & Provost|
|Don Guckert||Facilities Management|
|Stratis Giannakouros||Office of Sustainability & the Environment|
|Matthieu Biger||Computer Science|