Here are some additional resources on biking in the Iowa City community and beyond, including maps, bike clubs and advocacy groups:
Iowa City Bike Library
The Iowa City Bike Library at 700 S. Dubuque Street is a non-profit bike library program, which also has a rent-a-bench program for people to work on their own bikes and donate parts and accessories. It also offers bicycle maintenance classes and resources.
The Think Bicycles Coalition of Johnson County links cyclists and bicycling groups with city, county and state officials to foster and expand all aspects of bicycling in Johnson County. Think Bicycles seeks to educate all roadway users, to expand cycling infrastructure, to increase access to transportation and recreational trails, and to encourage community members to ride bicycles.
Iowa Bicycle Coalition
The Iowa Bicycle Coalition promotes cycling as safe and enjoyable recreation and transportation. The non-profit group was launched by bicycling advocates from across Iowa and unites the voices of road riders, mountain bikers, recreation riders, commuters, and anyone else who prefers a bicycle for recreation and transportation.
Health and Safety
- Is a Helmet Worth It? How Brain Injuries Affect Different Body Functions
- Healthy Cycling: A Beginner's Guide
- Gravel Biking Tips contributed by Indoored.com to assist gravel bikers.
- Winter Biking Tips designed to help you navigate Iowa winters.
- UIowa Bike Friends, a student group committed to weekly rides.
- University of Iowa Cycling Club, a student group.
- Rentals are available on a daily basis at the Recreational Services Outdoor Rental Center.
- Classes and trips are also offered though the Lifetime Leisure Skills program by Recreational Services.
- Bicyclists of Iowa City, a group interested in all aspects of cycling.
- Bike Iowa, a hub of central Iowa bike ride organizations and clubs.