Earth Month 2017
The Office of Sustainability invites you to celebrate Earth Month at the University of Iowa. This year’s theme is “Sustainability Connects Us All,” which reflects on how sustainability is integrated in all facets of our campus, our community and our planet.
The Office is teaming up with several UI departments and student organizations to present programs that show the positive impact of sustainability at the University of Iowa and beyond.
Activities include outdoor adventures, events encouraging waste reduction, reuse, and recycling, as well as guest speakers and artists. UI Earth Month highlights include:
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- April 11: Compost: The Journey of Food After the Table
- April 12: Reusable Bag Campaign
- April 25: Treasure Trade
Guest Speakers and Artists
- April 12-14: Provost's Global Forum: Women's Health & Environment
- April 13 Jordan Chariton/ The Young Turks: The Importance of Independent Media in the Fight Against Climate Change
- April 27 Hickory Dickory Rock: UI Environmental Coalition Benefit Concert
- April 21: Bike Check-up
- April 23: Student Garden Open House
- April 22: Earth Day: Passport to a Livable Future, at Kent Park
- The Earth Month Bike Challenge, a competition to encourage biking around campus, will run from April 10 to April 30. Cyclists log days and miles biked for a chance to win various prizes.
- Throughout the month, students in classes and other groups will be working on service projects such as garlic mustard removal, tree planting and clean up.
Other events include:
- April 5: Menstruation Station, focusing on sustainable feminine hygiene.
- April 9: UI Hunger Banquet, highlighting issues of college food insecurity
- April 21-22: Tippie Case Competition, sustainablity marketing case competiton
- April 21: Frontier Co-op-Tippie Impact Competition, sustainable business model competition
- April 22: Barbara Schlachter Run/Walk, to benefit for victims of climate change
For the complete list of Earth Month activities at http://sustainability.uiowa.edu/earthmonth
See the Office of Sustainability Facebook page and follow on Twitter @UIsustainable for updates and details on Earth Month. Use the hashtag #UIearthmonth to track what's happening and contribute to the festivities!
Earth Month is also a great time to become an Eco Hawk and be a change agent for sustainability on campus and beyond. Learn more and sign up at http://sustainability.uiowa.edu/eco-hawks/sign-up/