We're Hiring: Recycling Intern Wanted
The Office of Sustainability is seeking applicants for a recycling intern to assist with waste reduction, reuse, and recycling projects during the spring semester. The successful candidate will focus on two major projects, in addition to other regular duties and special projects.
The first major project is assisting the recycling coordinator with the development and implemention a Recyclemania campaign. Recyclemania is an 8-week national competition among colleges and universities across the country to see who can recycle the most. The Office of Sustainability oversees weekly outreach and education events and activities to increase recycling across campus. Planning for Recyclemania will begin in December and continue through January, with events beginning in February.
The second major project is working with University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics to improve waste reduction and recycling efforts in UIHC buildings on campus. Duties will include assisting the recycling coordinator with waste audits and recycling infrastructure audits in UIHC buildings, identifying opportunities for improvement, developing audit reports and recommendations, and assisting with implementation of improvements.
Candidates must be interested in sustainability efforts, especially waste and recycling, and should be comfortable with handling waste materials. Position reports directly to the recycling coordinator.
- Assist with the development and execution of outreach and education campaigns, events, and activities
- Assist with conducting waste audits and developing waste audit reports for campus buildings
- Assist with recycling infrastructure audits and developing recycling optimization plans for campus buildings
- Collect and enter waste data into an Access database
- Distribute and deliver recycling bins and tiny trash bins
- Assist with website and social media updates and maintenance
- Assist with volunteer recruitment for events and activities
- Assist with additional projects as needed, including activities and events related to Earth Month, Theme Semester, Move-Out Donation Drive, Graduation, Dance Marathon, and other projects that arise.
- Current University of Iowa student
- Available 15-20 hours per week, typically during normal business hours
Desired Skills and Interests:
- Interested in recycling and waste reduction and comfortable with handling waste materials
- Familiar with collecting and entering data into a database
- Acute attention to detail and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Enjoys interacting with people and comfortable in social environments
- Excellent organizational skills
To apply, send resume and responses to the following questions to Beth MacKenzie, recycling coordinator, at Elizabethfirstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm Monday, December 18, 2018.
- Why are you interested in this position?
- What skills or interest would you bring to this position?
- Which of the listed job duties interest you the most and which interest you the least?